Welcome back to a new term Clever Kestrels!
We had a fantastic first term together, learning all about the Blitzed Brits, and you have produced some outstanding work in your cross-curricular topic folders. Your Homework projects have also been brilliant, with so many creative takes on the briefs we’ve set. Well done! Year 5 have represented us impeccably at your Science workshops at Benton Park and Year 6 have been brilliant role-models for their Foundation Buddies – helping them to settle-in to our school fantastically. We are very proud of you all!
So now we are getting to grips with our new topic, Vicious Vikings. This is another great history topic where we will be learning all about how the Vikings invaded Saxon England, and how they lived once they settled here! We have another brilliant Moveable Feast drama workshop to experience and a trip to Leeds Art Gallery to get our creative juices flowing.
In addition, we have our annual Inter-house rugby competition and cross-country race, where we will be hoping to beat our scores from last year…Fingers crossed! If we are good, the Easter Bunny may even pay us a visit before the end of term – will you be able to hunt-out your egg?!
In our final term together we will be splashing through the topic of Creeping Coasts, where we will take in a fantastic, whole-key stage trip to Filey. We will investigate how and why our coastline is changing; what it’s like to live in a coastal location; and also how animals have adapted to living in our oceans.
Another great highlight is our end of year performance, “Edith’s Wartime Scrapbook” which promises to be another sell-out show! By this point, we will be getting our wonderful Year 6s ready for the big step-up to secondary school, and will finally send them off with an emotional trip down memory lane, at our Leavers Concert.
There is so much more to look forward to over the couple of terms. Here’s to a fantastic spring and summer; let’s work hard and play hard in Kestrel Class!
Mrs Jarvis, Mrs White and Mr Goodall
- Having a great time in our new classroom role play area: The Treasure Chest Chippy! Come in for a bag of chips...
- Kestrel class have had a brilliant week. We have all tried really hard to be resilient with our work and have a “can do” attitude- even through the pain of miles to km conversions!
- We have done lots of practical measuring this week, reading scales, converting units, and getting everything rather wet!
- kestrel class have been looking at Viking fashion this week, and trying their hand at making some Viking-esque slippers! We have learned different sewing techniques and stitches, and even how to thread a needle without asking Mrs Jarvis
- To help develop ideas for our newspaper report writing, Kestrel class have been doing a spot of journalistic interviewing this week, with some rather fiery exchanges of opinion!